Friday, August 1, 2008

Book: The Name of the Wind

When not on the computer, refreshing various websites for news that never comes, I enjoy reading. One book I recently finished was 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss. My favorite book genre, by far, is Science Fiction. This time I decided to branch out into some fantasy.

Spoiler-free thoughts:

  • Original setting, no elves to be found here.
  • Magic is very low key and difficult requiring much training.
  • Characters are interesting, nothing really cookie-cutter or cliche.
  • Author is developing a rich world in terms of history and lore.
  • Adult themes, but nothing very explicit or gruesome (read: This is not Harry Potter)
  • First book of a larger series (trilogy?)
  • Now that I have finished, I am eagerly awaiting the next volume.
  • Writing style was smooth and easy to read.
As I mentioned, I do not read many fantasy books, but I quite enjoyed this one. Engaging story and interesting characters set in a dark and original world. I recommend it. I am not sure of this kind of review format is actually useful, so let me know what you think.

Author's Blog

1 comments:

That's hands-down my favorite book from last year. Every chapter is interesting, well-written and begs for more in the series. Great to see others appreciating it!

Post a Comment